Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
[ QUOTE ]
The U.S. also apologized to the Native Americans for stealing their land
[/ QUOTE ]
I laugh everytime I hear the Slavery excuse from blacks. They think they had it bad. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I guess some did but if not for slavery they would still be in Africa and some living in very harsh conditions. It seems no one ever thinks of the Native Americans and what our ancestors went through. The Trail of Tears come to mind. Why is it that schools dont teach much Native American history? All I was taught in school was about black history. Martin Luther King is held as an all American symbol. But does anyone know a thing about Sequoyah and what he did? How about Chief Joseph?
Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
wow what an intelligent reply. Yes good for them if they were well off enough to have them. Back in that period of time it was the way of life, it was how people got by. And if you ask me most slaves didnt have it so bad. They had a secured place to live, they were fed, all they had to do was earn their keep. But no then the yankees invade the south and the all mighty lincoln frees the slaves and gives them what? Okay you're free go make it on your own. No help, no housing, no food. Yes some slaves were treated very poorly, but most had it pretty good. Back in the civil war some slaves went to war with their owners because they WANTED to, not because they were forced to despite the popular myth that yankee history has taught us.
Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
The history of the Indian was either swept under the rug, or simply altered to fit white man's history books. God forbid we ever have a Native American History Month.
Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
no we couldnt have a jewish history month or a mexican/spanish history month. No lets just kiss the blacks behinds and every thing will be fine.
Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
[ QUOTE ]
The history of the Indian was either swept under the rug, or simply altered to fit white man's history books. God forbid we ever have a Native American History Month.
[/ QUOTE ]
We actually do. Bush made November Native American History month this past year. Only good thing Bush did. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
I did not know that. Its about time if you ask me the way the native americans were shafted when we arrived here.
Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
Yeah, we do...how many Coke commercials have you seen about that? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
[ QUOTE ]
I did not know that. Its about time if you ask me the way the native americans were shafted when we arrived here.
[/ QUOTE ]
And still being shafted. God forbid if the Washington Redskins were known as the Washington Blackskins.
Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
I can't believe you people. You get on here spouting about how stupid it was and that you are 1/16th (or whatever) Native American and you aren't getting an apology. Give the state time- its taken over a hundred years for this apology- maybe they'll get around to it eventually. I hope you all don't have children- isn't that what we are supposed to teach children- to apologize when they have done something wrong? I think it's great that Virginia apologizes for slavery. I mean what's the big deal- how does that effect any of you in the least???? It is wrong PERIOD to own people as property. It is the least states can do to apologize for it. It's too bad that the people they need to apologize to are no longer around to hear it.
And as for saying blacks had it good when they are slaves- you are nuts!!! I am betting you must not know a lot of black people if you are saying crazy things like that. I bet you'd change your mind if you ever were enslaved.
Re: Va apologizes for slavery...
Not asking for an apology at all. I figured that my ancestors gave up on that long ago. Re-read my first post on this subject. It was in jest. Humankind is a savage and barbaric creature. The Native Americans weren't the first persecuted, nor will they be the last.